Clinton School Field Trip, Parent Chaperone – 2012 ( they are college freshmen now)
Parents, guardians and families are children’s first educators. It feels like parenting our kids has never been harder.
Parents, guardians and families are children’s first educators. This has never been harder.
I am a lifelong educator, my parents were both school teachers. I have been in school my entire life (literally) as a student, teacher, administrator, professor and consultant. But the MOST challenging role has been being a parent. 25 years in the UK, 5 years in The Bahamas, 20 years in NJ and 4 years in CA. (with a bi-coastal family). I have been president of the Special Education Parents Advisory Committee (a required organisation in school districts in NJ) advised multiple families, friends, colleagues over the years. During this pandemic as we all pivot let me support you .
I received a PhD from Fordham University in 2014 in Educational Leadership and Policy, an MA from Seton Hall in 2003 in Administration and Supervision and my undergraduate degree in the UK. I am a professor of educational leadership and chair of the department of leadership studies at the University of San Francisco. My family lives in Maplewood and we live a bi-coastal experience. (zoom has made this infinitely easier).
Nothing prepared us as parents or educators for the pandemic. On a daily basis I work with school leaders, students who are educators and parents, policy makers ( and breakers) on school reopening. It has easily been the most difficult time for so many of us. So, if you are considering a return to school, a pod, a community endeavour, moving into private schools – talk to me !
Talk To Me
If you are thinking the grass is greener- talk to me .
Wanting to move your kid (OOD) Out Of the District (been there done that 3 times) talk to me !
Got a frustrating situation with a case manager and IEP’sIEPs (oh I wish I had taken notes) – talk to me !
Struggling to get an 504 for your declassified kid ? ( it took a year but we got there). talk to me !
- I am a parent, an educator and I have a PhD. I teach in a school of education, in a program for educational leadership. I have studied the law and have some pretty awesome people skills. I keep it real and hopeful. I am really hopeful
- I want to help you – I want to use these 30 years of experience to navigate the spaces with others. I get it from an advocate, educator, Mom perspective.
- I will charge a fee but nowhere near as expensive as a lawyer. If you need a lawyer, I will tell you. If you need translation support, I will tell you. I will be honest about options. I won’t tell you what to do. (unless you want me to.)
- Advising regarding moving into a private school, school choice
- Review of peer district.
- Review and provide deeper understanding of differences between schools in your home district.
- Support in preparation for meeting with school/district.
- Attendance as an advocate at meetings with school/district.
Email me directly and let me know what you need.
Talk to me .
If you need a linguistic sign language translator please let me know, (we can have one attend our meeting for a minimal additional fee).
No charge for the initial consultation (30 minutes)
Talk to Jane ( Lindy Rollo, parent, former school social worker, SOMSD)